I heart emails!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Adventures in eating (and drinking!)...

Hayes has been eating solids for quite some time now; we started with rice cereal a couple days shy of 5 months and have since tasted a plethora of veggies and fruits including 
sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, butternut squash, winter squash (no clue what the difference is between the squashes!), peas, green beans, corn, rutabaga (which I had never even had until I gave it to him!) apples, bananas, mango, honeydew melon, blueberries, apricots, raspberries, peaches and pears. 


I try to give him homemade food as much as possible, usually whipping up a batch on Saturday or Sunday that we'll put in the freezer and will last us for the next week or so. 
Since he turned 6 months old, I've been cooking the veggies in chicken stock, then pureeing them so he gets a bit of protein (for those of you who don't remember, protein = full tummy = full night's sleep!!). It really has made all the difference.

We lucked out and Hayes has always been super into food. He LOVES fruit, especially bananas and honeydew - he'll open his mouth and flap his arms like a little bird, jumping up and down in his seat. 

On Tuesday night, I made a salad with beets and had some leftover, so I decided to puree them and see if Hayes liked beets as much as I do. Back story, I don't think my parents were ever huge beet fans as I don't ever remember having them growing up. In fact, I think the first time I tasted beets, I was about 22 years old and I was annoyed at myself for never trying them before as it turned out I loved them. Well, it turns out Hayzey loves them too!

 
messy but delish!!
He's also been practicing with the sippy cup and is getting quite good at it!

okay mom, you ready?...

(i swear, it's just water in there!)

so serious...
 In other news, Hayes' 8 months photos are up on the gallery, so enjoy!:


No comments:

Post a Comment