I heart emails!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Birthday Reflections and Weekend Recap...

Yesterday, I celebrated turning 29 for the 3rd time. Now in year's past, birthdays were a pretty big deal to me. As I mentioned in a post a few months ago, we take holidays pretty seriously around here so birthdays become birthmonths and so on and so forth. When Hayes was born a week shy of my 30th birthday last year, we were obviously pretty preoccupied with something else (figuring out how the hell we were going to care for this needy being they call a newborn!) so my big milestone of a birthday kind of came and went with no real hurrah.

A year has passed and I spent the majority of February planning the little man's party, only to look up last week and realize, oh yeah, I have a birthday coming up too! I didn't want to do anything wild this weekend to celebrate (we decided when we went to Hollywood for a friend's birthday a few weeks ago that we pretty much never need to go back - I saw a young lady urinating in the street - THE STREET!!!) so Grant and I had a delectable dinner at Mastros on Saturday night and plan on bringing Hayzey to Palm Springs this weekend with a couple of friends to luxuriate by the pool and enjoy this unseasonably warm March weather. We weren't even going to go out last night, but Grant's mom decided to come up last minute so we went to a casual movie and sushi (you know you're old when you go to a movie about a birthday party on your birthday. I think I spent the entire film with my mouth wide open in horror as to what was going on, thinking the whole time, I would KILL my child if they did this to my home).

Anyways, I was talking to a friend yesterday and he asked me how my day was going and what it felt like to be 31. Before I answered, he said "Is it depressing as hell?", to which, after thinking about it, I replied, "No, not at all." I am exactly where I wanted to be at 31 - a happily married, home-owning mom to a healthy little boy, with a secure job that I really do love. I don't think I would change a single thing about what's going on at this point in my life and I think that's a pretty amazing thing to be able to say. And although my birthday isn't a raging, exciting party anymore, my low-key day and night with my boys yesterday was perfect ;-)

I stumbled upon this post on a blog I read that seemed very fitting for the occasion.  I think the important thing to remember as you get older is that it's not the number you are, but the way you feel. When I was in my twenties, thirty seemed ancient, but now that I'm in my thirties, I realize it's not old at all. And as long as you're healthy and happy with where you are in your life, what does it matter how many times you have to push that up arrow on the elliptical machine?

Our weekend was a busy one, with music classes, birthday parties and graduation ceremonies galore. I am adoring watching Hayes around other kids - he is so social and inquisitive and easy-going - truly a pleasure to be around. And I thought I'd be sad to see that gummy smile disappear, but those two little white teeth that are slowly poking their way through his mouth are the cutest things I've ever seen. I'll have to try and snap a shot so I can share it with you all... Until then, enjoy some of these snaps from the weekend...

Every other baby at Toddle Tunes sits in their parents' laps and enjoys the music. Not our boy, who wants a front and center seat, right in the middle of all the action. He could care less if Grant and I are there!
Learning how to play this beast with his friend, Ollie...
Watching the bubbles...
Rooster... I think it might be time for another trim...
With Ollie at Gavin's birthday party, watching the musicians...

Picking up chics at Mommy & Me graduation...
Sofia's not too sure about Hayes...
Mr. Social Butterfly...

No comments:

Post a Comment