I heart emails!

Friday, April 20, 2012

A Bahn Mi Playdate...

We've already gotten our weekend off to a good start around here, kicking it off with what we like to call a "Banh Mi Playdate" with our friends Liz and Ollie. 

Liz is a friend of mine who I've become close to since having Hayes; she's the daughter of Jane, the woman who owns Laguna Beach Books, which happens to be right next to Tootsies, my mother-in-law's store. Liz and I were pregnant at the same time and seemed to have endless similarities - her husband, Paul is Canadian/I'm Canadian; they live right by where we used to live before we moved to the Kibbutz; we were both due with boys around the end of February. We kept hearing about each other throughout our pregnancies but never met because, well that's kind of weird and awkward and both of us already had friends of our own and didn't think we needed anymore! It wasn't until we both went into labor on the same day and ended up delivering our guys within 25 minutes of each other that we decided we were meant to meet and I'm so glad we did - she instantly became one of my closest mom friends. Oh and I quickly realized that you can never have too many friends - especially ones with kids - and have made them through far more awkward ways since having Hayes!

Anyways, Liz introduced me to the most delicious sandwich at a restaurant in LA called Mendocino Farms. It's a take on the traditional Banh Mi, which is a Vietnamese meat-filled sandwich - in this case, the meat is pork belly and it's accompanied by carrots, diakon sprouts, jalepenos and some sort of delicious sauce spread on crusty ciabatta and thrown in a panini press. Divine. My mouth waters just thinking about it. 

To make a long story short, when Liz and I get together for Ollie and Hayes to have a play date, we always treat ourselves to a delicious banh mi, hence the "Banh Mi Playdate". H and I headed over there this afternoon and after enjoying some lunch, the boys played around with each other. They've known each other since they were a month old but they've finally gotten to the point where they actually interact when they play now, which is adorable to watch. Ollie is a bit of a bully (there was biting and hitting on more than one occasion!) and Hayes seems like a bit of a pushover, but I guess that makes them a perfect pair!

It was nice to spend the day with the boy as I feel like our one-on-one time has been lacking lately, what with all of my travel and actually being busy at work. After his nap this afternoon, we played around in the backyard and lo and behold, we discovered Hayes has quite the penchant for iced coffee! Who says coffee is an acquired taste?!


Auntie V and Uncle Andrew come into town tonight and tomorrow, the whole clan is headed down to San Diego to celebrate Grant's dad's 60th. I think Hayes will avoid the pool (he's still getting over his eczema, which looks worlds better but isn't completely gone) but we're looking forward to lounging around outside and enjoying the good weather (and free babysitting, courtesy of Grandma, while Mama gets a massage!). I know the photos have been lacking on this 'ole blog as of late so I'll try to snap lots of pics to share with you next week.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment