I heart emails!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Toddler Muffins

Hayes has been less than enthused as of late about eating his fruits and veggies. Kid loves carbs - pasta, rice, bread - and dairy - cheese, milk, yogurt - but his intake of good 'ole traditional fruits and veggies is definitely lacking.

For a long time, I resisted the urge to hide nutritious things within other foods. I wanted him to eat veggies in their simple form and like them goddammit! But after a few weeks of feeling like a bad mom because my toddler's diet consisted mainly of french fries and cottage cheese, I decided I would do whatever it took to sneak some wholesome foods in there!

I came across this recipe for Toddler Muffins on Pinterest (where else!) and although the picture didn't really do them justice, a quick scan of the ingredient list convinced me that these were worth a shot. The only substitutions I made were instead of a cup of grated zucchini, I did 1/2 zucchini, 1/2 squash (I happened to have a twosome from the store I needed to use), and I also added in a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a handful of raisins. The muffins created an intoxicating aroma throughout the house on Saturday morning and much to my delight, Hayes loves them!

And they aren't too bad alongside a cup of joe for a grown up version...


We also discovered the fruit/veggie puree pouches, which Hayes enjoys sucking on. These felt like a step backwards for us (weren't we done with purees?!), but again, if the kid is getting his nutrients, it's fine with me. And we do keep having to remind ourselves that the poor thing only has 2 teeth still! A side bonus of the pouches is that he becomes pretty consumed with putting the lid on, taking it off, sucking some out, then repeating the whole process. So it keeps him busy for awhile - a trick I intend on using when we're on the plane to Scottsdale next week!


My final trick to get Hayes to eat something with nutritional value is to dip berries in flavored greek yogurt (we prefer vanilla) and then freeze them. So simple and easy and Hayes loves it. I have to cut the berries into quarters when they come out of the freezer (otherwise we're dealing with that whole choking hazard!) but it's a satisfying nutritious dessert for kiddos and adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment