I heart emails!

Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy Anniversary Bigou!

Tomorrow marks the hubby and my 5 year anniversary. Hard to believe it's been 5 years already; that's a long damn time when you think about it (although nothing compared to the almost 14 years we've been together!). I am incredibly grateful to still have my best friend by my side. He's an amazing father, partner, provider and person and I'm lucky I locked him down when he was a wee lad (although I'll forever tell him it's the other way around!).


Tomorrow night, we're celebrating our big milestone at our favorite restaurant, Mastros. I'm very much looking forward to our decadently over-the-top meal - we deserve it!

In honor of our anniversary, I thought I'd post our vows. We decided to write our own vows for our wedding and I'm so glad we did. It's nice to look back on them and remember the promises we made to each other and the love that we felt that day. And they remind me that I better be more proactive about getting him those snuggly socks when he climbs into bed with those ice blocks for feet!

Chanel’s Vows, September 29th, 2007

As I stand here today, across from you, I think back to the first time I saw you, nine years ago, the new kid sitting in the corner of the gym at TASIS orientation.
The smooth talking charmer that you are, you won over the Senior girls, but luckily it was me who caught your eye.

Throughout the years, we have stood side by side as a unit, as a couple, and as best friends.
In happy times and in sad, we have been each other’s rock, laughing, crying, a shoulder to lean on, an open ear to talk to, a pillar of strength and reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

You know me better than I know myself. If soul mates exist, you are without a doubt the person that my soul was meant to meet and spend the rest of my life with.

As we embark on our next journey as Mr. and Mrs., I promise to be the best partner, mother, wife, friend, and confidante I can possibly be.
On nights you can’t sleep, I promise to make nook readily available, along with a good head scratch every once in awhile.
If you’re feeling cold, I promise to make you a nice cup of tea and fetch you the snuggly socks.
If you’re feeling blue, I promise to do whatever it takes to make you smile.
And on days where you just want to act like a goofball, I promise to be right there beside you, creating life stories about random strangers riding in cars, or repeating conversations over and over again, saying “do you think other couples are like us?”

In the days leading up to today, many people asked me if I was nervous and if I was having any second thoughts about making it official and getting married.
Not one time have I doubted this next step in our relationship – it feels natural; it feels comfortable.
I am so honored to become part of your family, who have all been nothing but welcoming since the day I met them. 
I am so excited for what lies ahead, for what the future will bring – our first house, and some day, miniature versions of us.
I am so thrilled to finally be able to call my bigou, my husband and to spend the rest of my life with my best friend in the whole world.

Before we decided to move to LA together, you wrote me a note that said, “those meant to be together always will be in the end…”

I can’t wait to spend our forever, together.

 
 
Grant’s Vows, September 29th, 2007

When we got engaged, I told you about the first time we met,
but I didn’t explain the whole, somewhat embarrassing story.

Later that day, we took a class field trip to a terribly boring cathedral in
Chichester, England – it was cold and damp and I was nursing some serious jet lag.

We went to lunch with a group of about 12 new, for me, classmates at the local
Pizza Express and I wound up sitting right across the table from you.
And while I like to think of myself as cool and calm,
I was giddy and nervous and had butterflies, as I was full of excitement.

In a retrospectively un-smart attempt to keep up the cool front,
I kept it simple and ordered a plain Margherita Pizza.
Apparently, the extremely British waitress was not familiar with my “California speak” and brought me some type of indiscernible meat and mushroom covered concoction.

In an effort to continue winning your affection and not disrupt the meal,
I smiled and gladly accepted this pizza that I clearly did not order
and began to attempt to enjoy the food.

Unfortunately, upon first bite, I found out that not only was the pizza covered in mushrooms, which I despise (and some unknown meat), but it was also wildly spicy.
Within a couple of bites, my tongue was on fire
and I was starting to wonder how I could eat this entire thing.
However, I was working far too hard to earn your favor to possibly be so rude to return it, so I just gritted my teeth, tried to hide the perspiring forehead and drank a lot of water!

And while the food at that Pizza Express in Chichester was terrible, almost ten years later, I still consider it to be one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten because if I had been a bother and sent it back, who knows if you would have fallen for me so?

So the moral of the story isn’t that when going to Pizza Express, one should just always order the dough balls and garlic butter, (which is true!) or that England has terrible food, (which is also true!), but rather that today, like I did almost ten years ago on the first day we met,
I promise always to eat the spicy mushrooms; I promise to always order loud and clear;
I promise never to send anything back; I promise to always sit next to you at the table;
I promise to make sure that you are always happy and most of all,
I promise to always have those butterflies in my stomach when I am with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment