I heart emails!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Loves...



Obsessed with TJ's Greek Nonfat Pumpkin Yogurt these days. I always start my morning with some greek yogurt and berries/pomegranate seeds and lately the unflavored Fage just hasn't been doing it for me. I scooped up a tub of this seasonal specialty last week when I was on our grocery run and have been savoring every bite this week. It's seriously yummy stuff.

*
The weather turned little cooler this past week and we were able to get some use out of our new fireplace. Nothing says cozy like lying under a snuggly blanket on the couch in front of a roaring fire. Love.

*
I finally got through the last boring book I was reading (I just couldn't get into it, no matter how hard I tried!) and have happily started a new one, The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. So far I am loving it - it's the kind of book I look forward to getting into bed to read at night. Curious to see if I've been able to keep up with my lofty new years goal of one book a month this year (gotta start somewhere, right?); I've lost count but will make sure to do a post about all that I've read, as well as what I thought before the year's end.

*
Our family is embracing meatless Mondays. Research shows that going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic, preventable conditions like cancer, heart problems, diabetes and obesity. It also helps you to reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel. Although I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian, I don't require meat in every meal I have and am excited to try out some new veggie recipes, like the black bean, sweet potato and quinoa chile with smoked chipotle above. (BTW the blog where that recipe is from, www.ambitiouskitchen.com is adorable, with lots of yummy recipes and beautiful pictures - definitely check it out!). 

*
My sister-in-law, Victoria was diagnosed with cancer when she was thirteen and a half years old. Ten years ago today, she was declared cancer free. Although Hayes has many reasons to love his Auntie V (she's basically obsessed with the little man!), I hope he grows up and looks at her as an inspiring role model for how one should embrace life and live the one you're given to the fullest. Cancer sucks. A child having cancer sucks even more. Victoria took the cards she was dealt, beat the cancer and hasn't looked back. She takes on life with a can-do attitude, never hesitating to try new things (what other teenage girl do you know chooses to move cross country for her Senior year of high school, then one ups that by spending her second semester abroad in a little town in Spain?!) and follows her intuition. This is a huge milestone and it's one we're very proud of her for reaching. May there be an infinite number of ten year cancer-free anniversaries to come - we love you V!


No comments:

Post a Comment