I heart emails!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year!

*
 Hard to believe another year has come and gone! 2012 was a great one and I'm excited for what lies ahead in 2013. One thing is for certain - with the amount of friends of ours we have who are expecting, Hayes is about to triple his friend count, which is always a good thing! Exciting, exciting times ;-)

Figured I'd take this opportunity to reflect on my resolutions from last year, as well as add a couple I plan on working towards in '13...

Last year, my main resolution was to stop texting and driving. While I have definitely made a valiant effort, I can't say that I've 100% stopped this dangerous habit so it's definitely #1 on my list again for this year. And I intend to bug everyone who I drive with to do the same thing (ahem, Grant!) so consider yourself warned!

I also wanted to take up reading again, which was happily achieved. In 2012, I read the following books: 

- The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain
- Bringing Up Bebe, by Pamela Druckerman
- 50 Shades of Grey, by E.L. James
- The Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, by MaryAnn Shaffer & Annie Barrows
 and I'm currently reading (and LOVING) Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

My goal was to read a book a month so coming in at 11 isn't too bad! And having just gotten a brand spanking new Kindle Paperwhite from the 'rents for Christmas, I plan on continuing my new habit for many years to come.

In 2012, I also wanted to cook more for ourselves and Hayes, including cooking out of my comfort zone. I think this was pretty successfully achieved - I tried cooking with a variety of different meats and fish and truly believe I perfected the chocolate chip cookie with this recipe (they are seriously divine). Cooking is something I enjoy and can happily always practice getting better at. In 2013, I'd like to make more of an effort to make sure Hayzey is getting a wide variety of vegetables. It's so tempting to slack on his meals and take the easy way out by heating up some mac and cheese or throwing some frozen chicken fingers and pre-made sides into the oven. Ultimately, him eating and liking a wide variety of food will benefit us all so I think I can put a little more effort into that.

My last resolution from 2012 was to try and keep an open-mind and stop being judgemental of others. There have been many times this year where I've reminded myself of that - sometimes the reminder has worked and I've refrained from thinking aloud something I wouldn't have thought twice about saying before. Sometimes, not so much. So just like the cooking, this is something I can continue to work on.

I have just a few others to add to my 2013 resolution list, including:

...be a little more selfish. Take some time to do things for myself and not feel guilty about it, whether it's going to a class at the gym (there's a yoga studio literally within walking distance of our house - I'd love to take up yoga again!), going to bed at 9p just because I feel like it or getting a monthly massage (another habit I would have no problem jumping on board with!), I think it's important for everyone to have some time to themselves and would like to make a concerted effort to carve some more of that out for me.
...don't sweat the small things. Remind myself that whatever seems like the end of the world in that moment, probably won't matter much 5 years from now. Try to have more patience and slow down a little.
...drink more water. This should be an easy one; it was doctor's orders to drink 3-4 liters a day after my kidney stone debaucle after all. I just need to make sure I keep that up.

So there's that. The holidays ending are always a little bittersweet for this Christmas loving gal. I already miss the fam and all of the festivities that occur in November/December but I have to say, I'm looking forward to resuming some sort of a routine (traveling 10 days with a toddler is no easy feat!) and I love how January starts the year off with a blank slate. Plus, I have a vacation to Hawaii to look forward to in 10 short days!

I promise to catch up on picture posting this weekend (I'm still in editing mode so although it's a bit backwards, I want to make sure I have everything to share in one place). In the meantime, here's a teaser of NYE - the only family picture the Cohens were able to capture amongst all of the chaos!


Hope you had a good one and here's to a spectacular '13!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment