I heart emails!

Friday, May 10, 2013

Happy Mother's Day Weekend!

*
It's Mother's Day this weekend, so you know what that means... This sentimental bag of mush is ready to love up on her little guy and reminisce about the joys (and pains) of motherhood over the past year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Motherhood is the hardest job I've ever had. Since becoming a mom, I have a new-found respect for my own mother, a stay-at-home to 3 kids, all girls nonetheless. Before having kids, you look at stay-at-home moms and think, what a life! They get to stay home and do nothing all day long except play with their children. No real responsibilities, no schedules to stick to, no presentations to make or bosses to answer to. Then you have a baby and the short time you're on maternity leave and home full-time with your helpless baby is like a slap in the face. Your delusions beforehand are something you'd never understand until you find yourself living the situation. Sure there are no presentations, but there are plenty of negotiations (especially when you reach the toddler years!). Your responsibility isn't a client or a brand, it's a human being who wouldn't be surviving life if it wasn't for the efforts you make, most of which will go unnoticed and unappreciated until your kids have kids of their own. Your life revolves around schedules - eating, sleeping, bathing, classes, errands - not to mention squeezing in a few things everyday that are crucial to your own well-being (ie/ showers, doctors appointments, a minute to go to the bathroom). It's crazy town all day, every day, usually sleep deprived, always hectic. Relaxing becomes a thing of the past because even when you're on vacation, or out to dinner or at a movie, you always have part of your brain worrying about your baby, whether they went to sleep alright that night, whether they ate all of their dinner, if they'll ever actually learn to love brushing their teeth.

But then there are those moments...when your baby is sleeping peacefully in bed next to you; when they insist on giving you another hug and kiss before you leave for work; when they say something so cute and hilarious, you can't help but look at them and say, "I love you so much." That is what motherhood is all about. It's not motherhood the 'job' that's the reason why people keep having kids - sometimes I loathe the routine of having to come home every day to deal with dinner, bath, bedtime, all the while not knowing whether Hayes will be happily cooperative or the devil reincarnate (btw, here's a great article on that subject). But within those days of routine that fly by, there are moments that you couldn't imagine unless you experienced them. There are ways your child looks at you that you know are only reserved for you. There is a love that's felt between parent and child that's inexplicable and seemingly bursting at the seams. I've never met somebody who frustrates and fascinates me so much at the same time. I've never met anyone who I've loved so unconditionally, even in those moments where I feel like I should be hating him.

I learn something everyday from Hayes. Over the past year, I've learned that motherhood gets harder as they get older (and I'm sure I'll be learning that for years to come). I've also learned that as this little thing you created grows and becomes their own little person, motherhood becomes more rewarding.

I read a quote the other day about Mother's Day. The person was explaining the importance of it to her husband and summed it up by saying, "This holiday is more important to me than any other. It's the only holiday I had to earn." This weekend, on Mother's Day, I plan to enjoy my well-earned holiday, reflecting on the years of hard work my own parents put into raising me and hoping that I'm able to pass some of that down to my kids. And if I happen to get a couple extra two-handed kisses from my boy, well, I won't be complaining ;-)

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there. I hope whatever you're doing, your day is perfect in it's own special way.


xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Chanel :-) Love your accounts of motherhood - all real, honest and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete