I heart emails!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Montrelolo

Please excuse the blog silence over the past couple of weeks. We were vacationing in my home and native land, or 'Montrelolo' as Hayes likes to call it, with my whole fam and I'm only just now coming up for air.


We were gone for 8 days, spending 4 days in the Eastern Townships at a darling little Manor in between North Hatley and Magog, Manoir Hovey, and 4 days in Old Montreal in the center of all the action. My whole family was there, all 11 (and a half!) of us - with, much to my dad's delight, the boys outnumbering the girls!

Unfortunately, we didn't get the greatest of weather for the first half of the trip. Lots of overcast skies and not a whole lotta sun. But we were able to spend some time poolside, which the littles loved, and even went on a boat one afternoon (Hayzey's first time!). The girls surprised me with an impromptu baby shower tea, which was so sweet and very much appreciated. Peanut is already growing his/her gender neutral wardrobe with some adorable fits ;-)

After we ventured into the city, the rest of the trip was a combination of wide open days to explore the city at our leisure and activity-filled outings, including a family reunion with my dad's side and a renewal of my parent's wedding vows for their 40th wedding anniversary. 

None of the boys had met most of our extended family so it was a special treat to see them not once, but two different times, to catch up and bring everyone up to speed on what was going on in their lives. 

And in my opinion, the best part of the trip was the day of the vow renewal. I've mentioned before that my dad is a hopeless romantic (which I love) and this was in the works for quite some time. We tricked my mom into thinking we were going to some fancy creperie just outside the city, specializing in the cuisine of Brittany, France and all loaded onto a party bus (which felt a little strange with 3 kids!) to make the trek out there on Friday morning. As we were en route, Grant started asking my parents about where they met, where they got married, etc... and my dad nonchalantly suggested we stop by the old church where they had their wedding as it conveniently happened to be on the way. Lo and behold when we got there, it was set up for an intimate ceremony for yep, you guessed it - Wayne and Penny! My dad got down on one knee and asked my mom to marry him again and we all sat down to witness their renewal of vows - even my dad's childhood best friend who served as the original Best Man at the wedding in 1973 was there! It was really special and I know it meant a lot to my parents to have everyone there to share their love.

After the renewal, we headed to a creperie that we used to frequent when we were kids. I've literally been talking about these crepes with Grant for 15 years - delicious paper-thin, falling off the plate crepes that are filled with rich cheese and whatever other fillings of your choice. I hadn't been back in about 20 years and I was happy to see that the place hadn't changed a bit. So fun to bring my boys there!

Hayes was an absolute champ on our long and tedious travel days (we started the trip with a 3:30a  wake up in order to make our 6am flight - woof!) and did very well with the babysitters we had for him most nights so mom and dad could enjoy some leisurely 5 course meals. He LOVED seeing his cousins and between the bus, boat and horsy rides and plethora of sweet crepes, ice cream and candy, we think he's going to remember Montrelolo quite fondly!

Ready for picture overload? Enjoy!:

Hayes getting George ready for take off...
Uncle Grant entertaining the littles...
The BEST potato chips in the world...
Dumb and Dumber...
Twinsies!
Enjoying his continental breakfast...
Look, no hands!
No big deal Ma, I can swim...
Smushy face ;-)
Baby Gus - check out those knees!
Hayzey's first boat ride...
It was so windy, he insisted I keep my hands over his face like this for most of the time, yet kept telling me he was having fun!
Cousin kisses...
21 weeks!
Vanity Fair style glamor shots...
The whole Mailloux clan...
My dad and his brothers...


Getting their tickets stamped for a train ride around the port...
Fourth of July twinsies!
My guy...
Horse ride around Old Montreal (there's Hayes with that lovely smile again!)...
Us and our horse, Marilyn...
Kisses for Baby Gus...
The whole clan (minus my dad, the photographer) on the bus to the chapel...
Surprise! Will you marry me... again?!
Hayes does not respect religion...
Whiters and Ryan...
The happy couple, 40 years later ;-)
The highlight of the trip - crepes!



No comments:

Post a Comment