I heart emails!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Solo Dates with the Boys...

Hayes has adapted amazingly well to having to share the spotlight with his baby brother 24/7; we really could not have asked for it to go any better. Sure, sometimes he's a little rough with his hugs and kisses and sometimes he just has to have whatever it is that Grey is using in that exact moment, but for the most part, he really loves the babe and has made the transition of becoming a family of four much easier than we anticipated. 

I'm on my own with the boys two days a week and although I try to be more flexible about Grey's napping schedule so we aren't stuck at home all day long, the fact of the matter is, things just aren't as fun for Hayes when his brother is there and he doesn't have the one on one attention to do all of the things he wants to do. Grey is usually strapped to my chest when we're at the park in the afternoons, making my full participation in whatever game we're playing limited. And although Grey is a fantastically well-behaved baby, you never know when he might not be feeling what we're doing and that makes it difficult for everyone.

It also goes the other way - because, for the most part, Hayes is always around, Grey hasn't been able to experience a lot of one on one time with us so we've yet to take him to any of the music or gymboree classes he would probably be enjoying at this point.

So when my fabulous mother-in-law suggested implementing Monday dates with the boys so we could both get some solo time with each of the kids, I thought it sounded like a great idea. Sometimes she'll watch Grey while Hayes and I go on a fun adventure; sometimes she'll take Hayes on a date so Grey and I can spend some QT together - genius!

We kicked it off this past Monday, with Nini coming up to spend the afternoon with Grey while Hayes and I went to a destination that couldn't have been any more summer-appropriate: the Santa Monica Pier. I've lived in LA for 11 years and thought it was about time I experienced the iconic ferris wheel and who better to do it with than my little guy?


We headed to Santa Monica and took a lap of the Pier, taking in everything there was to do before deciding where to start. There happened to be a private event going on where all of the rides (including the ferris wheel) were and the park wasn't opening until 3 so we had some time to kill. 

After picking up a souvenir at the gift shop (Hayes chose a toy ice cream truck that he's slept with every night this week), we headed to The Albright for lunch (shrimp caesar for me, cheese quesadilla for the boy). A quick pit stop to play some arcade games (half of which I didn't even have to put money in as Hayes was quite content with the demos - I'll take advantage of that while I can!) and we were on our way to the ferris wheel.

This was hilarious to watch...

After choosing our vessel (Hayes insisted on red), we started going up, stopping every so often to let people on and off. The Santa Monica ferris wheel offers amazing views of the city and the weather couldn't have been more perfect for the activity. And thankfully, Hayes had zero fear of heights - it never even dawned on me that he would be scared but we were really high up!!

 

No trip to an amusement park is complete without the obligatory funnel cake (Mama's favorite) so we indulged in some of that before heading home, running some errands along the way.


It was so fun for both of us and I'm excited to make more memories with both boys as we continue our new Monday Fundays ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment