I heart emails!

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bachelorette Ending Badly...

Wow, where oh where to begin? 

I've been a bit silent as of late on this 'ole blog and for that, I apologize. The last couple of weeks have been a little crazy, what with travel schedules and sicknesses and just overall life in general getting in the way. I'm finally coming up for air and wanted to give y'all an update on the happenings as of late.

The last time I posted, I was very much looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend away in one of my favorite vacation destinations, Los Cabos. For my sister's bachelorette party, instead of a penis-filled weekend of debauchery in Vegas, she decided a trip to a tropical locale where the only thing we needed to worry about was where our next margarita was going to come from was in order. I happily obliged, planning a wonderful getaway with our Quintess host, Prem for seven gals and one gent (who's probably girlier than any of us - love you, Curtis!), filled with yummy dinners, spa treatments and a little bit of touristy fun at the local bars. Whitney, who's hasn't had the most carefree engagement for a variety of reasons, needed this vacation more than anyone and we were all excited to get to Mexico, change into our swimsuits and park our asses poolside for 3-4 days to celebrate her upcoming nuptials.

The trip was great - house was perfect for our group, everyone got along, Whitney had fun and got some much needed R&R and by the time I left on Sunday, I was relieved that the vacation went off without a hitch and that the bachelorette was a success.

Yep, that's a penis on Penny's head...
The Surviving Odile crew...

And then that bitch Odile, a category 4 hurricane, decided to join the party on Sunday evening and make a real muck of everything. It's easy to look back now and make light of the situation (especially for myself, who luckily escaped Cabo on one of the last flights out) but Sunday - Wednesday of last week were some of the longest days of my life. 

When we booked the vacation, half of us planned on leaving on Sunday (kids and jobs to get back to) and the other half planned on leaving on Monday so they could luxuriate one more day with the bride-to-be. We were told before we left on Thursday that there was some bad weather heading Cabo's way so wanting to keep our options open, we booked a few one-way tickets back on Sunday for those staying, to have just in case. Well on Saturday, the storm changed it's path and it looked like Cabo was in the clear so we promptly called the airlines and canceled the one-way tickets (mistake #1). After all, we weren't going to cut the vacation short on account of a little rain!

Sunday morning, I awoke to an email from our host, telling us that the storm looked like it was, in fact, headed straight to Cabo and advising us to all try and get out on flights that day. Unfortunately, it was too late - all of the flights were now either sold out or canceled so those with Monday flights were SOL. I left my mother, sister and 3 others at the house with a couple 35 packs of water, a bit of food, a lot of wine and some nervous jokes about enjoying the hurricane party.

It wasn't until I touched down in LA and saw some footage of the rain that my sister had posted that I began to panic. If the rain and wind was that strong 10 hours before the hurricane was officially supposed to hit, what was it going to look like that night? 

I kept in touch throughout the day and enjoyed their instagram posts about surviving Odile and Jesus candles. I went to bed that night feeling so guilty that I had left them there - not that I could have done anything, but I had wished that I had made them come to the airport or thought about taking them to a hotel, or given them a tighter hug when I said goodbye.

The storm hit Cabo at 10:45pm. At that moment, they were {smartly} all huddled in a bathroom, trying to sleep in the shower. The glass wall leading out to the pool was sucked out of it's frame. The fire alarm was going off. The electricity had gone off hours before and windows were shattering. They must have been terrified.

The next morning, they awoke to a completely raged house. Knowing that Quintess owned 14 others in the development, they went from house to house to assess the damage and see if there was somewhere better for them to stay. They ended up running into another couple who owned two houses that suffered far less damage and they graciously let them stay in one of them while everyone tried to figure out next steps. At this point, we were still in contact with them through a phone line at the security gate. They checked in every couple of hours and we tried to rebook them on the next flights out - having no idea when the airport would even reopen (we were told 10/10 by one source and that's looking pretty realistic now). 

Monday night, we lost contact with them. None of the phones were working anymore. I kept getting updates from another group of people who had friends staying in a ballroom at the Westin and it wasn't looking good. No one had any idea whether the roads were drivable. We explored every single option we could (private plane, helicopter rescue mission, you name it!) and started to panic when we realized that even if we were able to find a way out for them, we had no way of communicating the plan to them.

Finally, on Tuesday evening, my dad got word that they were being air lifted on a Aero Mexico commercial jet by the Mexican military to Mexico City, where they then spent the night and caught the first flight out to LAX on Wednesday morning. Ordeal finally over, right? Wrong. Some man goes into cardiac arrest on the flight and my sister, a nurse, is trying to revive him as they land the plane; the man, a 69 year old veteran traveling with his wife of 45 years, dies on the way to the hospital in Mexico City. I couldn't make this up.

So needless to say, when I saw my mom and sister at the airport on Wednesday morning,  the tears were flowing and I think we were all feeling relief like we'd never felt before. We're so grateful to the entire Quintess team, who took such excellent care of our group while they were stranded. It makes me so sad to think about what has happened to one of my favorite places and I hope it's able to recover quickly. It boggles my mind that the US news has barely covered what's been going on there; there are still thousands of people stranded and the situation is bleak.

Moral of the story is, I think the Mailloux girls are done with bachelorette parties in Mexico (my bachelorette ended with half of our group getting seriously ill, which pales in comparison to this!). Good thing Whitney's the last to be married off!

No comments:

Post a Comment