I heart emails!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Desert Weekend Recap...


It's taken me awhile to gather all of the photos taken from various places from our Mailloux family reunion in the desert a few weeks ago, so apologies for the tardy post, but let's go back in time to our Canadian Thanksgiving get-together and take a look, shall we?
The Mailloux cousins, in birth order: Hank, 5; Hayes, 4; Gus, 3; Greyson, 23 months; June, 10 months; Dylan, 10 months.
My family is spread all over the country; a sister and her family (including my nephews and nieces) all the way on the East coast in D.C.; a sister and brother-in-law who've just celebrated one year of wedded bliss in the windy city of Chicago; parents who live the semi-retired life in the blazing desert of Scottsdale, AZ and yours truly on the West coast in the land of LaLa. We went from a core family of 5 to {currently} 14 and counting, so getting everyone together in the same place is no small feat. Since in-laws and far too many children are now involved in holiday gatherings, we decided to pick a weekend once a year to convene as a family - and Canadian Thanksgiving, which falls on Columbus Day weekend every year seemed to be a natural fit.
The "boys'" table...
This year, my dad had a boys' weekend planned to a football game over Columbus Day so we celebrated a tad early the weekend before and all 12 of us descended upon my parents' home to shack up and spend some QT together.
Snug as a bug in a rug!
Ladies who lounge...
And although it was madness, especially for my poor parents who aren't used to the chaos that comes with 6 kids under the age of 6, it was such a nice weekend and I was so happy to be able to spend some time with my sisters and their hubbies and get some loving in on my little babes, who I don't get to see nearly enough. Not to mention how much fun the kiddos had together - it was basically like having a friend over for 3 days straight, in a new environment, with new toys - the kids were just slightly excited ;-)

My parents went all out and arranged for all sorts of fun activities to do with the kids. From pumpkin carving, to a Halloween treasure hunt complete with choice of costumes for both the kids and adults, to a delicious Canadian Thanksgiving spread, we were well taken care of and the kids had a blast.
The angry convict...
Police Officer Hayes finding some loot...
Just silliness....
Side note, the last time I wore this costume, it was to a Halloween party in high school that Grant wasn't allowed to go to b/c he was on some sort of school arrest for doing something naughty on a school trip (this was pre-our love connection but I was obviously already keeping tabs on the new guy who had caught my eye). Happy to see it still fits 17 years later and when I'm pregnant, to boot!
I think we all agree that it was a little hectic for my parents to host everyone so we may consider renting a house next year in some neutral territory, but we are truly thankful to them for providing the digs this year and hope the dust has settled at Casa Mailloux since we left!
Uncle Grant reading the boys their final bedtime story about Little Critter going to the dentist. I'm still cursing the author for writing about how when you have cavities, you have to get scary shots to numb your gums. Hayes tells me everyday now how he never wants to go to the dentist again - although it is a good tactic to get him to be thorough in his tooth-brushing!
Hard to believe that the next time we have plans to all be in the same place (July, 2016 in Cape Cod), the bean will be alive and there will be a grand total of 15 extended-Mailloux family members. Never a dull moment around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment