I heart emails!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Lately, around here...

Summer has literally flown by. I can't believe school is starting this week (I also think it's an absolute travesty that kids have like 5 weeks of summer vacation in California, but I digress...) and that it's already the middle of August. Fall is right around the corner and although it's usually my favorite time of year, I know I'm going to long for the lazy days of summer spent poolside with the kiddos.

Luckily, it's blazing hot in LA until end of October so we have a few more months of that ;-)
The last couple of weeks have been a doozy. Our beloved nanny, Lolo, gave notice last week; she's going to pursue a marketing opportunity she's been offered and will be leaving us at the end of the month. We're pretty devastated, especially me, since I've come to think of Lolo as a little sister of sorts. My heart literally dropped into my stomach when I found out and her and I have shared some tears over how sad we both are that she won't be around anymore (to which I say, STAY! Why are you leaving us if you're so sad?!). But it's a good opportunity that she should take and I'm being a grown-up about it and trying to be happy for her. I'm hoping she'll remain in our lives somehow because we're really going to miss her. She's left some big shoes to fill.

I came down with a nasty cold last week and unfortunately passed it on to Henny Bear. She was pretty miserable for a few days and seems to just be finally coming out of the fog. Poor thing - it's the worst when they're sick. The 1.25 ml of infant Tylenol I'm allowed to give her might as well be sugar water. And poor me - Grant's been in Idaho all week for work so I've been solo with the kids. We've had a couple of rough nights and I'm ready for hubby to come home!
Greyson starts school tomorrow. Um...what? We had our Back to School night last night and it was so strange being there for him and not for Hayes, back in the old classroom, with the old teachers. It felt familiar but so foreign at the same time, seeing his cute little mug on the wall and crafting a scrapbook page for his first day of school. I'm excited for him - I think he's going to love it. Greyson's been ready to go to school for awhile now and I think it'll be nice for him to finally have his own thing, his own friends. We've also signed him up for Soccer Shots in the Fall, which he will kickass at, no doubt. He continues to infuriate me in the way only a two year old can, but on the flip side, I look at his little face and personality sometimes and think about how lucky we are that this little human is ours. 
Making rootbeer float popsicles in our backwards underoos...
And Hayzey boy, my big kindergartener... He has a kinder orientation tomorrow (not sure how I'm going to be there and drop Greyson off at school at the same time, where's my clone when I need her?!) where he gets to meet his teacher and we finally find out if he's going to be in the same class as the only buddy he has who's going there (fingers crossed!). Then he starts school on Tuesday. I'm anxious about that, the new routine, how we're going to get our act together to get him to school by the 8:11am start time. But he seems excited and judging by how much he loved the Developmental Kindergarten component of pre-school last year, I know he'll really thrive in the kinder environment. We also started speech therapy a few weeks ago and that's going well; he seems to really like his new friend Sam (the speech therapist) and looks forward to his sessions. I think he mainly likes that it's something just him and I do together - he'll take the one on one time wherever he can get it, I guess!
Baby Henley is 6 months today! She is so lovable and smoochable and I seriously can't get enough. She's learned to turn onto her stomach, but not the other way around so night time has been a little tough for the last couple of weeks as she keeps getting stuck. But she's also started sleeping on her tummy, which means she's sleeping better when she's sleeping. She's still not into the whole solids thing, although in her defense I haven't exactly tried in the last week or so. Wondering if she might  be one of those babies who likes finger foods more than purees, which would be just fine with me!

Most of the crew, minus one family...
We got away to Austin, TX for a couple days last weekend with 4 other couples who are college buddies of ours and their kiddos - 10 adults, 9 kids. I thought we had gone insane for planning such a trip, but it was actually really fun - the kids kept themselves busy, which was nice and everyone just hung out at this giant house we stayed in right on Lake Travis. Hoping to make it an annual thing, with a different locale each year. 

Some shots of the weekend for your viewing pleasure...
Hayes (5), Nicholas (8), Max (16 months), Hudson (4), Sophia (4) and Grey Grey (2)...
The pool and view - basically if you were outside, you were in the pool. It was a scorcher!
Men and (some of) their babies...
Max listens to live music...
Daaancing!
An inpromptu group hug...
Donuts for days...
The house from the lake...
Tubing for the first time...
Back for a second round with friends... and goggles.
Two thumbs up from Grey Grey...
Silly faces...
Henley and Parker, 9 days apart (and with very different political views! #Henswithher)...
The most ridiculously large pizza you ever did see - EVERYTHING'S bigger in Texas!

Keep Austin Wierd...
Hope your summer is going swimmingly. 
Will post an update on our Cohen Fam Summer Bucket List next week!






 


No comments:

Post a Comment