I heart emails!

Friday, December 16, 2016

Thankful for all the turkeys in my life...

I'm aware Thanksgiving was almost a month ago, but the next couple posts of mine will be playing catch-up a little bit as we close out 2016. The whole point of this blog is to capture the fleeting memories of my babies as they pass by - lately it seems as though they're passing by quicker than ever and it makes me panic just a little bit.

Days are long, but the years are short, right?

Anywho, I had to share some pictures of one of our favorite weeks of the year, Thanksgiving up at Angel's Camp.
For those of you who don't know about the magical place that is Angel's Camp (and no, it's not a biblical sleepaway experience as Greyson led his pre-school teachers to believe), let me try and explain...
Oddly enough, Hayzey's unexpected favorite animals the first time we went to the LA Zoo were the deer. Seems he still fancies himself a fan...
Grant's grandparents (yep, the kids' GREAT grandparents), whom we affectionately call GG and G Pops live in this sleepy town called Angel's Camp in Calaveras County (fun fact: it's the only incorporated city in Calaveras County). The population can't be more than a couple thousand and the major highlights are a Starbucks and Round Table Pizza. It's not what's in Angel's Camp that's alluring, rather what's around Angel's Camp. The closest towns that we frequent while we're up there are Columbia, where one can spend the day in an old cowboy town, panning for gold and getting held up by cowboys on staged wagon rides, and Murphy, which has the cutest little main street you ever did see and a Mexican/pizza joint that has arguably the best fish tacos on the west coast.
Grey Grey taking the robbers VERY seriously...
Sounds strange, doesn't it? But I swear, it's heaven. Mainly I like to just hole up at GG and G Pops' cozy home and be surrounded by the smells of good food and the chatter of good family. Thanksgiving also comes with the bonus of about 10 willing and able babysitters who can't get enough of our kiddos. The best.

Looking for fish with Aunt V...
Henley's biggest fan, Great Aunt Anne Marie...
Mackenzie, the jungle gym...
This year, since Hayes had the whole week off, we went Monday-Friday and it really felt like a nice vacation. We got to spend time with the Dake side of the family, hit up all the usual spots (although sadly no panning for gold this time since it was muy frio) and I even got to kick my new brother-in-law's ass a few times at Jenga (I'm experiencing a renewed love affair with board games as of late since I can't stay awake to watch television anymore). Mother Myrn was the most gracious host and although I feared our not-so-small family of five might scare her off of ever wanting us to come back, she told us to mark our calendars for the annual frog jumping contest in May, which I'm very much looking forward to.
Breakfast overlooking the golf course...
Big hair, don't care...
Giving Mama a heart attack...
Conversations with GG...
Winter fashionista...
Swings!
First tub altogether for the love bugs...
The spread...

1st Thanksgiving...
We even got a private performance of the Overland Kinder Thanksgiving song, complete with back-up singer duties by Grey...
Anyways, it was great week and I'm so thankful that I married into such an amazingly welcoming family, full of fascinating people whom I really do enjoy spending time with.
See you in May, Angel's Camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment