I heart emails!

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Resolutions...

The end of holidays leave me sad, but the new year signifies a fresh start, in a way and I'm always excited to begin January with some resolutions under my belt.

I've found in years past that writing my resolutions down actually helps me to keep them, so here goes...

- drink more water, always.
Getting another kidney stone this year was a major wake up call that I need to take this more seriously and even just 3 months post-surgery, I can already see myself slipping back into my old ways. I need to really make a conscious effort to keep sipping the H2O all day long, even when I'm home with the kids (I find it much easier to remember to drink when I'm at work for some reason).

- be more decisive - and embrace change.
We had to make a couple of pretty large decisions this year when it came to childcare and I suffered some serious internal struggles with whether or not the decisions we were making were the right ones. Part of the reason was because I'm so afraid of change - often, even when I know in my heart of hearts what the right decision is, I have a hard time convincing myself that's the case because if it were up to me, I'd keep everything just the way it is forever and ever. But I know life, especially with three children, will be filled with decision after decision and I need to make an effort to stick to my gut, trust myself a bit more and recognize that sometimes change is a good thing.

- spend some time focusing on myself...
Life is crazy hectic - and always will be. But I need to remember to put myself first sometimes - get that manicure, go to that Cardio Barre class, indulge in a solo matinee one weekend afternoon.
If I'm happy, I feel like everyone will be happier.
- and also focus on my grown-up relationship.
It's sometimes hard to remember that before we were a party of five, it was just Grant and me. Relationships fall into the mundane routines of daily life and we've learned that you really need to make an effort to continue to enjoy your spouse's company or you could quickly fall into the roommate zone. We're going to try and do more things together as a couple, whether it's watching a new series on Netflix, going on a day date to go wine tasting, or changing up our typical Friday night dinner + falling asleep on the couch and playing a game of Scrabble instead.

- be more patient.
No explanation necessary. 

- watch more TV.
I know, this one sounds weird, but hear me out. After the day is done and the kids are finally in bed, I'm often too tired to even watch a 30 minute sitcom on TV, so I feel like we're constantly missing out on these great shows everyone is raving about. Thanks to Netflix, we literally have every show we'd ever want to watch at our fingertips and I intend to start taking advantage of that.

- have more quality experiences with the kiddos.
I've been in a panic lately about how fast the years are passing and I want to make an effort to make sure we're having quality experiences together while they're still at the age where they want to hang out with us! It's okay to skip a nap once in awhile to spend an afternoon at the zoo, or let them stay up late to watch a movie as a family. The bigger experiences are what stand out among the million little moments and I don't want to look back on these years and wished we'd done something differently.

- and finally, disconnect every once in awhile.
I am a sucker for documenting every moment, which is good because it means I can revisit it over and over again, but bad because I'm often too distracted to enjoy what it is I'm documenting in the first place. The first thing I do in the morning is check my email on my phone, followed by Instagram and Facebook. And while it's unrealistic to expect that to change all that much (it is 2017, after all), I don't really need to have my phone attached to my hand 24/7 and I'm going to make an effort to put it down and enjoy the physical company of those whom I'm with a bit more.
(And that, by the way, is a resolution I plan on implementing for the whole family!) 

So those are my resolutions for 2017. Grant, who is notorious for NOT making resolutions actually had one this year. In his words, it's to "start my days like a beast, be more efficient and get a lot done." He began 2017 by cleaning the entire house (we had people over last night), including the sink full of hand washing he was planning on leaving for me so if that's what he means by starting his days like a beast, I am all for that! 

I explained what resolutions were to Hayes and Greyson yesterday and asked them what they wanted to do to make themselves better in the new year.

Hayes said he wants to work on his writing. Greyson said "the same what Hayzey did". ;-)

Hope your new year is off to a fabulous start and here's to a great 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment